Dear Progressive Women,
This weekend has been one of sadness and angst.
Federal agents are operating in a lawless manner in Portland.
New single day records of coronavirus were set on Sunday in the U.S.
The husband and son of U.S. District Judge Esther Salas were shot at their home Sunday afternoon. Salas’ 20-year-old son, Daniel Anderl, was killed, and her husband, Mark Anderl, is in critical condition. (There has been no motive determined this early in the investigation, but interesting to note that four days before the shooting, Salas had been assigned to the ongoing lawsuit brought by Deutsche Bank investors).
We all must brace ourselves, as over the next few months this state of affairs will continue, and get worse.
We can go into a funk.
Or we can rise up and do something, anything, if only to counteract our own anxieties. We don’t have to stay silent.
I’ll throw out some of the most obvious ideas.
Please send me your ideas as well.
1. Write to Senators Murphy and Blumenthal. A short email is sufficient—let them know how appalled you are by federal agents arresting protesters and using violence against American citizens.
2. Celebrate the courage of Portland Moms creating a human barricade and chanting “Feds stay clear! Moms are here!” (They were tear gassed…and then came back in larger numbers). https://twitter.com/JoshuaPotash/status/1284704272282800128
3. Rally for Justice & Equity—Saturday, July 25, 3pm at Hamden Town Hall. https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=10158736668677915&set=a.10150359626447915
4. New England Women for Biden is being launched on Monday, July 20, 7pm. Sign up here: https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_D21RUXfdRA-OZowN58ilkg?fbclid=IwAR0yL6BQ_FiswZfc7dpTBB8yKvbkF-8CyKIhpSI7mxjiJrG5iEa10_CcgCs
5. Refocus on campaigning for Dems up and down the ballot by engaging with voters: postcards, phone calls, texts, social distanced door knocking. Need help getting started? Email me: email@example.com.
6. Join us for ProWo conversation, Tuesday, July 28, 7pm.
7. Sign up for ProWo/Sister District’s Battleground Bingo event, Sunday, August 9, 6:30pm. Have some lighthearted fun with a serious goal of supporting candidates in Pennsylvania, Kentucky, and Maine.
What else? Let me know!
“History will not be kind to us. So you have a moral obligation, a mission and a mandate, to speak up, speak out and get in good trouble. You can do it. You must do it. Not just for yourselves but for generations yet unborn.” -- John Lewis